Monday, September 14, 2015

Day 25/26

Okay so its 5:15 am and I'm awake that is never a good sign, especially since I haven't been able to sleep and I have an 8:00 class.

So today, well technically it was yesterday but whatever, I noticed that my jaw was extra achey and it was a little bit harder to open. I decided to lay low since I wasn't able to eat much and I just wasn't feeling that great in general. Around 9:00 pm I decided to take some sleeping pills and go to bed so that I was well rested for my long day tomorrow, but I couldn't get comfortable and my jaw was really painful even when I laid on my back with my head elevated, so I took some extra strength Exedrin around 12:00 hoping it would relieve some of the tension and pain in my jaw. It did...until my face/throat swelled up like a balloon. I think I must have developed an allergy or a super sensitivity to Acetaminophen because I have never had issues with it like this before and I don't know if thats common after major surgery or what. But I am not a happy camper. Thankfully I have time between my classes to take a nap if I need to and I think I will. Honestly if this swelling doesn't go away by noon I am probably going to email the doctor at Yale again because this is just super uncomfortable and if I can't take pain relievers without my face/throat swelling up thats going to be a real issue. 

5:15 AM:

I mean its not as bad as the swelling a couple weeks ago but its enough to make me uncomfortable.

UPDATE: The swelling went down as the day went on and the pain went up. By the end of my second class it felt kind of like I was trying to pick up a 20 pound weight with my teeth. It hurt to open my mouth and my teeth/gums were really sore. I emailed the doctor in the surgeons office that has been kind enough to answer all my annoying questions about what I can take that won't cause a negative reaction, because the facial swelling is normal and its really not that bad just mildly annoying and uncomfortable but the mouth swelling is definitely not and poses a potentially serious problem. I found out that the Aspirin that is in extra strength Exedrin is actually really dangerous because it can increase risks for bleeding and bruising in addition to the facial/oral swelling so I am staying far away from that from now on. I took Aleve next, just one tablet that only lasted about 4 hours and I did swell up but not nearly as much as I did with the other stuff and I am hesitant to take two at a time because I don't want to have another reaction. The Aspirin definitely caused the worst reaction but no matter what I take, Motrin, Tylenol, Advil everything seems to be causing the swelling. I have NEVER been allergic to a pain reliever like this before and it is so inconvenient because owwwwwwww.

8:00 PM: Sorry about the atrocious hair, I've had to endure the jaw bra again we all know what that thing does.
In other news, I decided to drop the class I had that went from 7:00-9:30pm by 6:00 my jaw has had a work out, can be really sore and I have used up most of my energy and having to make it through a class (Clay) that requires so much focus and new learning was really a struggle; so I've decided to take a class earlier in the day so that I can just go home after and not have to worry about eating enough or taking a nap to ensure that I can function.

No comments:

Post a Comment