Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Two Weeks Post-Op


I can't believe it has only been two weeks, it feels like months since I checked into the hospital to get my face broken. I haven't noticed a change in the swelling unfortunately but I knew going in that I would be swollen for up to 6 months post-op which for some reason I figured was just an exaggeration...it really wasn't. I feel mostly back to normal, aside from the pure liquid diet and not being able to feel parts of my face. I can almost smile now, though my parents say its kinda creepy looking so I will stick to my Kirsten Stewart face for now. Its weird, I can kind of see myself under the swelling now but it has taken some getting used to having my chin be where its supposed to be, like it really changed the shape of my face.



My energy is slowly coming back, though I have to make sure that I eat regularly otherwise I get tired really easily. The right side of my bottom lip is still really swollen from the sore on the inside of my lip, it seems to be healing just not at a very fast pace. I move back to school on Monday which is exciting and terrifying. The best news is I CAN FIT A NORMAL SIZED STRAW IN MY MOUTH!!! Which is going to make eating 1000x easier. The catch is that the straw has to be hard plastic, I can't hold my jaw open for that long unless I bite down on the straw. Minor details. I think I could even fit a baby spoon in my mouth if I tried but I'm gonna wait until I get the okay from my doctor to try that one. Downside: I still can't fit a baby tooth brush between my teeth, I can only brush the outsides. Its really gross not being able to brush your teeth properly but here's hoping I can return to oral hygiene soon, until then mouth wash is my best friend. The antiseptic mouth wash they gave me turns my teeth a really disgusting gray color but I've been assured that it will go away as soon as I stop using it. Tempted to stop using it now but I was told to finish the bottle. I will most definitely be investing in some whitening mouth wash.

One more week to soft foods guys. One. More. Week. I've started making a list of all the things I am going to eat as soon as I am allowed to start soft foods.
  • Mashed potatoes (my dad made my favorites and I froze some for this exact reason, I don't know what he does to them but I swear they are crack potatoes)
  • Stuffing.
  • Cranberry sauce. 
  • Panera's Mac and Cheese.
  • Ravioli.
  • Slightly Underdone French Fries.
  • Muffins.
  • Brownies.
  • Apple Sauce.
  • Pizza (maybe, depending on how chewey it is this one might have to wait until I'm 6 weeks into recovery).
I am going to be the only person to ever gain weight after jaw surgery but I really don't care that much anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment